Because of our busy schedules, it is sometimes hard to cook during the weeknights, especially if the girl has gymnastics or soccer, but the one day we truly make an effort to cook (sometimes multiple meals) is on Sunday. There have been weeks where we have cooked an entire week’s worth of meals on Sunday so that we did not have to cook during the week.
My husband enjoys cooking, and just like science is my passion, cooking is his. He harbors the talent and ability to create something wonderful out of the most basic ingredients and make it the most memorable dish you have ever tasted.
This soup is no doubt a crowd-pleasing comfort food, perfect for those cold winter evenings sitting by the fire with the ones you love, which is exactly what we did this evening. We don’t get a whole lot of cold evenings in Louisiana, but when we do, you can bet we have soup on the stove, although we have been known to eat soup all year long.
Smooth and creamy, topped with sharp cheddar cheese and bacon, and garnished with green onions. This is a must try this season! Now, let’s get to it…
*This post contains affiliate links. For more information, visit the disclosure page here.
This is what you will need to make this smooth and creamy baked potato soup:
4 slices of bacon
1 stalk of celery
1 tsp of fresh thyme
1 yellow onion
3 cloves of garlic
1 pinch of paprika
3 dashes of Crystal Pure Hot Sauce, 6 oz
1 dash of cayenne pepper
5 cups of chicken stock
7 medium Yukon Gold potatoes
1/2 pit of heavy cream
1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese
2 green onion stalks or fresh parsley for garnish
Sour cream (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 sliced of bacon
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1 tsp of fresh thyme
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 pinch of paprika
- 3 dashes of Crystal hot sauce
- 1 dash of cayenne pepper
- 5 cups of chicken stock (reserve 1 cup)
- 7 medium Yukon Gold potatoes
- ½ pint of heavy cream
- 1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 green onion stalks for garnish
- Sour cream (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dice the bacon and saute over medium heat until crispy. Remove the bacon, leaving the fat in the pan.
- Dice the onion, celery, and garlic and add to the bacon pan with the thyme leaves. Saute on medium heat until translucent and soft.
- Peel and dice the potatoes into quarters and add to the vegetable mixture. Add 4 cups of chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the heavy cream, and allow to simmer for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Carefully transfer your soup into a blender or use a handheld blender to puree, adding reserved chicken stock to obtain desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the soup into serving bowls and top with cheddar cheese and bacon pieces. Garnish with sour cream and green onions. Enjoy!